Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Training




Yesterday, Kendra asked me to help with a cheerleading step she could not get down. I hardly had time to do it before she said ok ok, I got it and shooed me out of the way in the living room for her to try it again. Exactly the same way she had been doing it wrong. Finally after 10 minutes of asking do I have it right now? She let me walk her through it step by step..... She still looks awkward doing it but it is better. Practice will perfect it. Since she has not had any dance classes the step cross over ball change combo really was getting the best of her until she broke it down.
Then there is the cooking. She is coming along with that but is scared of getting things out of the oven. She can prepare almost anything following directions but not letting it burn is a concern. She is more than half way to being grown and my time to teach her how to take care of herself, to cook, to sew, to clean is quickly dwindling. I know she will be one of those teenagers that will be very active and involved. So my time to prepare her for the future is upon us!
I have been amazed that our foreign exchange student.............does not know how to cook at all, did not know how to do her own laundry, did not know how to run a vacuum, did not know how to make a bed. In my opinion, sending my daughter overseas to live with someone else, these basic things would need to be known first. I am just floored. Kendra has helped her with the washing machine and showed her how to make a bed. Just like a typical teenager though it only gets done when I fuss.
Unexpected role reversal as I thought the older girl would be teaching the younger girl and helping with things like time management, etc. In all actuality it is the other way around............this could be a good thing or a bad thing.

No comments: