Thursday, September 4, 2008

cabbage

I remember growing up and my Mom did not often make cabbage. I remember having it once a year with the annual Corned Beef and Cabbage meal on St Patty's Day. I hated it. It made me gag and the thought of it still does. Well recently I started making more meals with it since I bought several fruit and veggie Angel Food boxes this month. Tonight we created a new meal again and once again it was YUMMY and healthy.
here is what we did.

Put a cup of broth in a big fry pan.
added ham. I had purchased a small ham steak and we cut this into bite sized pieces.
We shredded cabbage about a half a head and threw this in there to wilt
cut up three apples into bite size pieces and threw them in there too
put one heaping tablespoon of chives in there
sprinkled the whole thing generously with cinnamon and allowed all this to hang out in the pan while we made some long grain rice.

We served this concoction over the rice. Everyone ate the whole bowl of food put before them. Except me but that is normal. I remember the days when I not only finished off mine, went back for seconds and then finished off Kendra's. So glad that I am no longer able to do so. Now Kendra finishes off mine...when I let her. I feel much better being half the person I used to be. We added some orange segments to the plate in order to add some color and just because the Littles love them. A one dish meal that the kiddos claim as a keeper. So glad we gave cabbage another try.

No comments: