Sunday, August 24, 2008

Make it up meal

After we got home from our brief stop at church. The kids and I were hungry and had our Angel Food special box of fresh fruit and veggies. In it was a cabbage. hmmm. What to do with that thing? My kids will not eat anything like boiled cabbage. They do like coleslaw...........but I have two heads of the stuff. What can I do with it? So I proceeded to make up a meal and the kids loved!!! I mean each including the neighbor went back for more. I always cook leaving leftovers hopefully enough for the next lunch but not enough was left this time for that........
here is what I did.
browned in olive oil a package of smoked sausage links. cut in bite size pieces. After browned I added beef stock. I then shredded some cabbage and threw it in to wilt. Then I added some cut up carrots and potatoes, then an onion and garlic and some green pepper from the garden. I threw in some oregano, black pepper, basil, and sea salt. I allowed this to simmer and cook up. When the carrots and potatoes were very tender. I told the kids it was time to eat. They asked for more for dinner tonight........ next time we will serve with some type of yummy warm home baked bread, dinner rolls or corn bread. I felt that this was missing and would have made this warm belly filling yet light meal better. I had no sugar issues from this meal at all.

1 comment:

Peyton's Mom said...

LOL!! We've made a meal something like this for years...we use ham, cabbage, & potatoes....YUMM-O!!

Got any leftovers you could send me?! :)