Wednesday, August 27, 2008

God turned out the lights

In order to get Zoe to go to bed at night and stay in bed in the morning I came up with this saying. She finally understood that when it got dark out her friend Andrea had to go in to go to bed....she is older and in First Grade now whereas Zoe is only 3. This going in at dusk thing brought up many questions......... Well after many discussions on the sun going down and when/why it does...Of course all this in simplified 3 yr old terms. The next time she asked once again as only a 3 yr old can drive you nuts in repeat questioning..... I simply said God turned out the lights......he said it was time to go to bed. She marched right upstairs and got ready for bed and even slept in her own bed. It was amazing. Why did I not think of that sooner? So then when she got up early (ahem 5am) I told her look outside Zoe....God has not turned on the lights yet. Go back to bed...........and she did. So now as it is getting dark she reminds me to look outside Mommy it is time to get ready for bed. So far this has worked wonderfully. I just hope we are not stationed in Alaska next or she may never go to sleep or sleep all the time. and what am I going to do when it gets dark at 6pm? Well it is working for the moment and I must say her quick ability to obey God was refreshing as she is not so quick to obey me. she likes to question me as to why.......but at least she knows and respects that God is the final authority.

1 comment:

Peyton's Mom said...

what a wonderful story! I love it when our children grasp something -- but it's actually *us* that may have needed the lesson! maybe *you* need the rest mama! :)