Friday, December 12, 2008

heavy heart

I spoke with my friend Lex, who lives in Savannah last night again. Her husband died the week of Thanksgiving in a car accident. His fault due to drinking and driving. His alcoholism was not a secret and the last year had been bad. He had been in a treatment facility also. Lex went to the Nazarene church with me in Savannah and his parents attended the Nazarene church here in Hinesville with me also. I knew them well............not Leon at all but I knew Lex loved him unconditionally and wanted the best for him always.
I have been praying for her and family. He left behind four kiddos that Lex is now caring for. A set of 17 year old twins, a 10 or 11 year old (I think) and Zoe's bestest friend Izzy B who is 3 just like her.
Well Izzy B has been telling her Mama this week that Mama is a big girl not a baby and should not be crying. Lex said she tries the Care Bear Stare to help make her happy. and then comes up and pushes her cheeks up and tells her to keep it that way. The poor kiddo............she misses her Daddy and loves her Mama so much. I did not understand completely the why's when my Mom died and I was 16 how do you explain to a 3 year old ....a very intelligent 3 year old at that. Her comprehension is just not mature enough to grasp it all. She just knows Daddy is gone and Mommy is sad. She asked my advice but really beyond prayer and love I have no clue. This little girl was at her grandparents when it happened and does not want to go back without her Mama as she is scared Lex will die too if she is there. This is going to upset the grandparents to no end as they adore Izzy B. Any advice? I remember that fear and I think only time took it away.......I was scared to go to college, to have my Dad fly off to Boston to visit Barb (while they were dating). What if something happened..... He was all I had now. As I developed my own life these fears dissolved but man at the age of 3 that could take awhile. I was forced into it and can not say I went willingly and hate that year of change in my life. Every day and every change was like saying goodbye again. It was the worst but again I was 17 when most of the changes happened she is 3! I tossed and turned thinking about her all night and how to answer her question. I do not think there are really any answers. So prayers for her my friends............and for Lex and the boys. My heart is heavy for them today.

No comments: