Monday, May 12, 2008

Disappointment

Today my husband let me down. It really rocked me as he has not really ever done that before. He has always followed through, stuck to his word and acted on what he said. ALWAYS. For 6 years of marriage and one year of dating before that ..........he has a great track record.
It was something for someone else and my husband missed the importance of the phone call per my wording in an email. One of his former soldiers that was hurt in OIF3 needed to talk to him. It was the anniversary of his IED accident and he NEEDED to talk. I gave the message that John would call ASAP and for some reason my dear hubby put it off. When I asked if he was able to help today and he told me he did not call I felt like John missed an opportunity to help and to witness to this young man. I felt it deep in my soul and it rocked me. I just did not know what to say to my poor hubby after that. so I did not say much at all. He wanted to get off the internet to go call the guy when he understood the importance of the call and had even im'd his wife to get the number while im'ing me and I just shut down emotionally. I know my hubby felt that. I have felt a burden for this young man since we visited with him at Walter Reed. We have visited several times and have developed a decent friendship. I really like his new wife, who loves him to death.
Have you ever missed an opportunity and knew it soon after? Felt it so deep inside that you let yourself down or knew you let someone else down. I have and it stinks. I have been let down by others before too. so this is not a new feeling just one totally unexpected in this situation. How does God feel when we let him down? When he sets up a whole situation and expects us to follow through and we miss it or ignore it? How many opportunities will he give us to get it right....in this situation John was able to make an attempt to phone him. But what about those situations where you may not have a second opportunity? My prayer is that I, in the future do my best to not miss them and to be open to seeing those situations. May I always be found faithful. My husband is usually and I know he felt bad and quite honestly I am shocked by my own reaction to that today. Usually I would say it's okay and give him grace, as I have with others but today I could not. That is how it is with the kids sometimes too. There are times that you just have to sit by and allow your kids to feel some discomfort for their actions or to feel the consequences of bad choices. That is the way I felt with my hubby today, I had nothing to say to make it feel better. I like that John and I are always on an even, good feeling place and with him being overseas in the middle of a war I defintely do not like the way we left it today... as we can not exactly go to bed all warm and fuzzy tonight. I know he knows I love him so very much but I wish I could tell him so again so we would both feel better! I wish he had called me after his call to our friend. Not to spill the story but just so WE were GOOD again. I miss my hubby, my faithful dependable friend. How many more months until Jan 2009????

Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life.

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

"I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do.

"Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

John 17:1-5 NASB

May we always in the future be on the same page and be able to work together to glorify him.........may we communicate better so the message gets across one to another more clearly when it needs to. May I as his help-meet be able to show him Grace when I feel disappointment at those times I may need to.
Thank you Father for showing me grace at those times I know I have disappointed you.

3 comments:

Peyton's Mom said...

Prayers being offered for all concerned, involved, and influenced......

...and yes, yes I have.....

Amen & amen.....

Anonymous said...

Honey I am sorry I let you down!!! My prayer is that I never let you down again as long as I live. I love you so much, that I could never tell you or show you how much I love you.

Love,
John

Anonymous said...

Opportunity only knocks once, temptation leans on the door.