Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quilting



I have discovered a new passion.?!? Maybe.... it is one I would like to have but it is very time consuming but will be great to accomplish and will mean a lot to my family. I made a kid's quilt a few weeks back with a friend that was here for the weekend. I was satisfied with my little project and the little girl that got it was thrilled as she had helped me all weekend with it. She is in Kindergarten and was also in for Spring Break....although a different family. They used to be our neighbors on post.
My girls, well the two oldest ones have loved picking out their material colors and choices. Zoe picked bright oranges, golds, yellows and green. Sunshine and the color of growing things! CERTAINLY FITS HER. I have always called her Sunshine. She has chosen the Dresden pattern and has been thrilled as she sees me cut out the pieces for it. Yeah you are making my quilt thank you Mommy. Can be heard every time she sees me with her material.
Kendra has picked turquoise, hot pink and an assorted print that has several colors in it. All jewel type tones. Considering she likes performing and singing this seems appropriate for her also. She has had a difficult time picking out a pattern but found one with stars on it that she likes online......now I have to find a matching pattern. I think this one is more like an applique.but do to my inexperience with quilting. I will have to find out when I find the true pattern.
Dani seems to like everything so I think I am going to make hers last until I get the other girls done. She may start showing preference for certain colors by that point. She is only 16 months now. I have time, well God willing I have time.
I want to make my girls something special and fill it with love and prayers for their lives. I want them to remember Mom being busy with something productive and have something to show for it. I spend a lot of time on moderating Freecycle, working with Angel Food, being church secretary and teaching them. I want them to not only remember that I loved them but to have good memories of being involved and how important that is. I want them to relate their quilts to serving others, to learning the word of God, to living Holy lives. I am hoping that this is not only another project for me but a prayer project for each of my girls.

1 comment:

Karen Sherrill said...

there is this cool kind of applique fusing stuff...all you have to do is cut out your pattern...iron it to the fusing then cut that to shape...then iron it to your quilt!!! I can't remember what it is called, but any fabric store will be able to tell you. I have three baby quilts going and I still have to finish quilting my mother in laws from Christmas!!! This is totally addicting ;o) .